SBA COVID-19 Updates

Please continue to check our website for updates.

Important Links and Notifications

Sabres Members Update March 30 2020

Basketball Victoria (Updated Tuesday 14th of April)

Basketball Australia Under 16 National Championships Update

Nunawading Tournament (July 2020) Update

VJBL Update 27/03/2020

Winter 2020 Website Registration Notice

SBA Closure – COVID 19


Basketball Victoria COVID-19 Updates

Basketball Australia Statement on Small Group Trainings

NBL1 Statement

SBA Update 24/03/2020

Communication to State and Territory CEO’s as at 12:00pm, Friday 20 March 2020
Dear State & Territory CEO’s
As the current environment evolves, Basketball Australia continues to prioritise the health and safety of the basketball community. Further to our recent communications and based on additional guidance from Federal Government ( and our Chief Medical Officer Dr Peter Harcourt, Basketball Australia recommends all team and small group training ceases until further notice. This recommendation will be reviewed in 30 days.
Players are encouraged to continue to practise their individual skills (e.g. shooting base drills, ball handling, footwork etc) and fitness training (interval sprints, timed runs, skipping rope, body weight exercise etc) on their own. Coaches are encouraged to liaise with players via virtual means (phone, email, facetime, skype etc) and continue to provide individualised direction accordingly. Below are Basketball Australia links that can assist both players and coaches:
Should a coach be made aware of a player showing symptoms, the coach should advise the player to contact their health care professional immediately.
As previously communicated, Basketball Australia are working within three key principals:
▪ Observing government guidelines
▪ Seeking advice of contemporary health and safety experts
▪ Ensuring the safety of the basketball community.
Please note the following key points:
▪ Information is changing daily and sometimes multiple times in one day. As a result, we must all stay fluid and when additional information comes to hand, Basketball Australia will issue advice accordingly.
▪ As the national body, Basketball Australia makes recommendations to States & Territories based on the best possible expert medical information unique to our sport at the time. Any State or Territory or Local Association making a decision to suspend/cancel their competition/programs/events is a matter for each State/Territory/Association.
Basketball Australia supports the government in slowing this pandemic and reducing the peak to
protect those most vulnerable in the community. As such, we will continue to provide advice as it
evolves and continue to assess the risk of each of our competitions, programs and events
We thank you for your ongoing support and understanding in this rapidly changing environment.


Jerril Rechter

SBA Update 19/03/2020

Dear SBA Members,

Please see the following communication from Dean Anglin and Basketball Victoria regarding the NBL1 competition.

Following yesterday’s announcement by the Prime Minister restricting Non-Essential indoor gatherings to 100 people or less, International Travel Restrictions and Airline shut downs it is increasingly likely that this situation will impact the entire NBL1 2020 season and we advise you to prepare for this situation. Regardless, I can confirm the NBL1 season WILL NOT commence prior to the 15th May 2020. This date has been selected as it is 4 full weeks after the Easter Period and would allow time for clubs to prepare for a season in time if the COVID-19 situation has improved, however, with the above considerations this is a very optimistic date.

We will continue to review the situation and will provide updates as available.

Dear SBA Members,

Please see the following communication from Jeff Downes and Basketball Victoria regarding the Big V competition where our Sabres VYC teams play.

Following yesterday’s announcement by the Prime Minister restricting non-essential indoor gatherings to 100 people or less, international travel restrictions and airline shut-downs, it is increasingly likely that this situation may impact the entire Big V 2020 season and we advise you to prepare for this. We can confirm that the Big V season will not commence prior to the 15th May 2020. This date has been selected as it is four full weeks after the Easter Period and would allow time for clubs to prepare for a season in time if the COVID-19 situation had improved. However, with the above considerations, this is an optimistic date. We will continue to review the situation and will provide updates as available.

When the league is in the position to consider a start date we will provide every club with an outline of the season dates (not sooner than 4 weeks notice), cost of participation, support available from the League and recommendations on the structure of league.

SBA Update 17/03/2020

Dear SBA Members,

Please see the latest communication from Basketball Victoria regarding COVID-19

Basketball Victoria COVID-19 Update

On Friday 13 March, Basketball Victoria made the decision to suspend all Basketball Victoria related activities, leagues, programs and events to help reduce the spread of the COVID-19 virus. Today, Monday 16 March, the Victorian State Government has also declared a State of Emergency for four weeks in response to this pandemic.

We continue to regularly consult with key stakeholders including the Victorian Government, VicSport and Basketball Australia, as well as listening to our members which assists us in providing the appropriate guidance, information and updates on the continually unfolding COVID-19 situation and the effect on the basketball community.

We understand that basketball is a large part of many people’s lives, which will be missed at the moment, however our current priority is to make decisions that ensure the health and wellbeing of all players, coaches, officials, staff, volunteers and all of our families are maintained.

At this stage, the suspension of all related Basketball Victoria sanctioned activities, programs and events will continue through the state of emergency period. This date may change, and we will continue to provide updates on a weekly basis.

We have been listening to the questions and concerns of our community. Please see below for clarification on certain matters:

Basketball Victoria considers formal or organised team training to be part of basketball related activities, programs and events. As such, we highly recommend training sessions are postponed until further notice. 

VJBL games are postponed until at least April 17. Further updates will continue to be provided on a weekly basis.

Big V
Big V games are postponed until at least April 13. Further league specific communications will follow in the coming days. 

League specific communications will follow in the coming days. 

Country Championships 

The Under 12 and Under 14 Country Championships due to be played between now and April 13 will be postponed until further notice. We will provide updates as soon as they come to hand.

Under 14 Skills Days 

Upcoming Skills Day events scheduled to be held this weekend at Dromana, Ballarat, Bendigo, Bellarine, Hamilton, Korumburra, Swan Hill, Traralgon and Wangaratta are postponed until further notice. Additional information will follow as soon as it comes to hand. 

Aussie Hoops

The Aussie Hoops program in Victoria is suspended until at least April 13. Further updates will continue to be provided on a weekly basis.  In addition, Term 2 Registrations are also suspended.   


Tribunal matters or hearings are to be deferred until further notice, unless there is an urgent matter. For any queries – please contact: Gerry Glennen on 03 9837 8000 or

BV Awards Night / BVC Awards Breakfast

At this stage, both the BV Awards Night and the BVC Awards Breakfast are postponed until further notice, a future date has not yet been decided. We will continue to provide updates as further decisions are made.

Winners for all categories have been decided, we will not release winner’s names or the recognition of service award winners yet until further decisions have been made for potential celebrations later in the year.

Further updates about Basketball Victoria activities, events and programs will be provided as information comes to hand. Please check our website and social media channels for these updates.

For more information about COVID-19 and ways to keep yourself and your family protected please visit

We will continue to work together to ensure we all get through this challenging time as best we can.

Nick Honey


Basketball Victoria

SBA Update 16/3/2020

Following up from our communication on Friday afternoon, we want to confirm the following program suspensions for the forseeable future:

All Casual Shooting

All SBA Senior and Junior Domestic competitions including Daytime Ladies and Access All Abilities (midweek and weekends)

Ready Steady Go

SBA Development Programs:

  • BeeBall (Wednesday afternoon and Saturday mornings)
  • BeeBall 3 on 3 (Tuesday afternoon and Saturday mornings)
  • Guard School and Hoop School (Friday Mornings)

Junior Sabres Program:

  • All Sabres Friday Night VJBL games
  • All Sabres Mid-Week and Sunday training sessions
  • Sabres Advanced Development Program at Parktone Primary School
  • All Sabres Rep Academy training sessions
  • Adelaide Tournament (ALL Tournaments for the forseeable future)

Senior Sabres:

  • VYC Big V weekend training and weekend games
  • NBL1 mid-week training

Please keep checking the website for more communications from the SBA.

SBA Update 13/3/2020

Dear Members,

As of 4.00 pm today, the Southern Basketball Association will be closed due to the COVID-19 virus. Until further notice, all junior and senior basketball domestic competitions are suspended.

All SBA sanctioned competitions will also be suspended including:

VJBL competitions – All Sabres teams will not be permitted to play in the VJBL competition if games are scheduled for tonight, Friday 13th March.

Big V – No Sabres teams will be permitted to play in the competition if games are scheduled for this weekend.

The SBA will continue to update its members on the operations via our website and social media to ensure everyone is kept up to date. The SBA has not received any confirmed cases of the COVID-19 virus from any of its members, the decision to close is to reduce the chance of infection to our members and slow potential transmission and community spread of the virus. The SBA domestic finals programs will be reviewed in line with the commencement of the 2020 Winter season and we will communicate our new schedules when they have been finalised.

On behalf of the SBA Board and our Operations Team, I would like to thank you for your understanding at this time.

Best Regards

Craig Weir                                                     Phil McFarlane

CEO                                                                 President     

Southern Basketball Association            Southern Basketball Association


SBA Update 11/3/2020

Dear SBA Community,

In light of the recent notification from Basketball Victoria in relation to the COVID-19 virus that was published on our website and related social media outlets, I would like to take this opportunity to provide an update on activities that the SBA Management and SBA Board are undertaking to monitor this situation.

At present we are in consultation with the Bayside City Council and are following the guidance provided by the Victorian Health Department, which we are monitoring daily.  Also, we intend to supply hand sanitizer dispensers, subject to stock availability, that will be placed inside the stadium. We encourage players and spectators to use these facilities sensibly and follow regular hygiene practices, including washing hands regularly.

Finally, we are acutely aware that the SBA Domestic Grand Final weekend is fast approaching (21st-22nd March), potentially attracting more than 5,000 spectators and players on Saturday 21st March alone. While there is no reason at this point to cancel the Grand Final weekend, we will continue to monitor the situation. Any decision we make will ensure that both the health and well-being of our basketball community members is our first priority.

While we are taking the current health situation very seriously, we would also like to remind everyone to continue as normal until further notice is provided.

We will continue to provide updates as information becomes available.


Phil McFarlane

SBA President